Protect Your Family from These Four Water Parasites

Drop of water

In the United States, about 30 million cases of acute gastrointestinal illness are recorded every year. Although government agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have inter-disciplinary programs in place to ensure the cleanliness of water, outbreaks still happen.

Investing in residential water treatment services from companies like Superior Water Conditioners in Fort Wayne can help protect you and your family from swallowing or coming into contact with contaminated water. Here is a list to help parents and teachers understand the disease-carrying parasites lurking in unclean and unsafe water:

Guinea worm

This large and long worm enters the body in larval form. It takes a year to observe the presence of this parasite in the body. The symptoms are physically and mentally burdensome.  In 90% of the cases, the mature worm will emerge on the person’s leg or feet one year after swallowing contaminated water. This is common in areas that lack basic sanitation and experience shortage of clean, safe drinking water.


This parasite is released by freshwater snails. Ingesting its larval form through infested water causes schistosomiasis. The symptoms of the infection include abdominal pain, diarrhea and blood in the stool. When left untreated, this disease can cause kidney damage, genital lesions, vaginal bleeding and infertility.

Entamoeba histolytica

This microscopic parasite causes Amebiasis. Those infected will experience loose stools and abdominal pain or discomfort. Amebic Dysentery is the severe form of this disease. In this case, watery stools become even more frequent, and stomach pains begin to feel worse. E. histolytica can seriously damage the liver.


This is the most common waterborne disease in the United States. Those who have Giardia infection usually have loose, greasy stools, abdominal cramps, fatigue and inexplicable weight loss. Kids can contract this disease when swimming in public pools, streams or lakes.

Parasitic infection can cause great harm, so be sure to make everyone in the family aware of them and take the necessary precautions.